Breaking Habits the Right Way Wednesday, 31 January 2018
It’s almost February, one month down into the new year. Sadly, many people have already abandoned their “New Years” resolutions. We have good intentions year after year to tackle those annoying or unhealthy habits that seem to hang over our heads like a black cloud. But as you probably already figured out, bad habits are difficult to break. The fact of the matter is that we don’t exactly break bad habits, we replace them with habits that hopefully serve us better. It is a multifaceted approach. There is not “one thing” that we can do that is the “key” to making changes that “stick”, there is no magic bullet. However, the good news is that we have scientific data proving that there are certain behaviors that breed the most success if you engage in these with commitment and consistency.
I am not going to cover the steps and mindset needed to be successful in making lasting changes in this blog but I will give you a tip on getting started.
The number one thing for anyone who is looking to change a habit is to find the answer to this question: ………WHY?
Why do you want to change? If you can truly answer the question with passion and conviction, you are on your way to changing your habit.
The why is the most important element in the equation. If you know the “why”, the “how” will be much easier to figure out. The “why” will keep you going when you don’t feel like going to the gym, or eating 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day, or getting up early to walk the dog. Those who experience the greatest success in making lasting changes write down their goals and track their progress. This helps keep the “why” front and center. Nothing fancy, use good old pen and paper if you want to. Keep it where you can see it often.
This will get you started. And remember, New Year’s Eve is not the end all and be all of goal setting. Any day you get started on a goal is as good as any.
Health and Nutrition Coach
- 12 Steps for great December digestion
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our Say Ahh Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch?
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!