10 Tips for a flat stomach 9-5-18
10 Tips for a Flat Stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
A flat stomach, the physical 8 pack, is the envy of most people and yet a flat stomach is one of the most difficult physique forms for one to achieve. In fact, they say that your overall health can be determined by the circumference of your waist. This question, “How do I lose the fat around my waist?” ranks as the number one question I hear from my clients. Losing the fat around your midsection can be a struggle. It’s also the place that most people tend to carry their weight. In addition, extra abdominal fat is a risk factor for several diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
Start with these 10 tips for a flatter stomach and A HEALTHIER YOU today!
1. Cut Calories, but do not overdo it!
You need to cut calories to produce weight loss. By reducing your daily intake by 500–1,000 calories you can expect to lose approximately 1–2 pounds (0.5–1 kg) per week. That being said, restricting your calorie intake too much can leave you hungry and feeling deprived and more likely to go back to your old ways of eating. It will also signal your body that it is in the starvation mode and it will tend to keep fat around the waist.
Remember this: We do need a calorie deficit to lose weight. When cutting calories, it is important not to restrict calories too much or for too long so your metabolic rate is not slowed down.
2. Eat More Soluble Fiber
Soluble fibers include foods such as oat-bran, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruit and vegetables such as broccoli, sweet potatoes and pears. Soluble fibers play a key roll in loosing weight because soluble fibers absorb a lot water and slow down the process of digestion. This causes the stomach to expand and therefore giving you a feeling of fullness which reduces your appetite. Furthermore, soluble fiber reduces the LDL, aka as the bad cholesterol, and the accumulation of fat around your organs which can put you at risk for several diseases.
Remember this: Eating the right kind of fiber, soluble fiber, has been linked to a reduced risk of developing fat around your midsection and effective in loosing weight.
3. Cut the sugar from your diet and liquid calories
Sugar and liquid calories can add up quickly. A flatter stomach does require dedication and also sacrifices which means skipping the sweet stuff including juices, alcoholic beverages and dessert. Alternatives such as flavored water is a better choice, not only because it is “0” sugar but also because it makes you feel full. Instead of sugar laden desserts choose natures sweet treats,”fruit”, as a snack or after dinner treat !
Remember this: Adding additional sugar calories to your meal can be self defeating and slow the progress of achieving that slim waistline. These empty sugar calories promote belly fat and can contribute to heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Cut sugar out today.
4. Engage in Aerobic or Cardio Exercise
The best exercise for losing inches from the waist and burning calories is Aerobic or Cardio exercise. HIIT (high intensity interval training), a variant of cardio with high bursts of activity alternated with rest periods or less-intense activity, is also an effective means for a quicker slim down. The best results with cardio are achieved when one exercises within 55-85% of your maximum heart rate for at least 20-30 minutes per day. Brisk walking, running, stair climbing, cycling, jumping roping, swimming and the elliptical are just a few of the best aerobic exercises.
Remember this: Doing moderate-to-high-intensity cardio for 20–40 minutes per day has been shown to be effective at reducing belly fat.
5. Eat clean
Clean Eating is a lifestyle in which processed foods are eliminated from your diet and substituted with more whole foods in their natural state. Foods which are pre-made and contain refined four, additives, fillers and other unnecessary products can contribute to weight gain especially at the waist. Cooking your own food, reading labels and eating well balanced meals throughout the day will have powerful health benefits for you and your waist!
Remember this: When shopping, shop the perimeter of the store where more healthy food choices are placed. Reduce or eliminate your consumption of processed foods and choose the natural versions. Clean eating can lead to more energy too!
6. Do strength or resistance training
Strength training helps you loose weight by reducing body fat, and it increases your lean muscle mass which can burn calories more efficiently. Therefore, the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn even at rest after the workout is over. Coupled with proper nutrition and cardiovascular training, resistance training will have a dramatic effect on loosing inches while gaining strength and more definition of the abdominal area.
Remember this: Pick up weights or bands in addition to weight loss strategies to enhance muscle tone and calorie burning. Resistance training is also important to maintain muscle which can be lost when consuming fewer calories.
7. Get your ZZZ’s
The amount of sleep you get at night is very important for weight loss, especially in the tummy. Studies have shown that when people don’t sleep they have increased levels of a hunger hormone called ghrelin and decreased levels of a satiety/ fullness hormone called leptin which could lead to overeating and weight gain. The recommendation ideally is 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Studies have linked sleep deprived women to and increased waist size compared to those who get adequate sleep.
Remember this: Too little sleep can cause you to gain weight around the waistline compared to those who get a good nights sleep. The amount of sleep you get at night is just as important as diet and exercise. Sleep is also important in our next tip in that it keeps our stress hormone, cortisol, in check.
8. Relax and Decrease Stress
Stress is a part of living in our society today and rarely does a day go by when our bodies are not exposed to stress. When we are stressed on a daily basis, we are more likely to store fat and gain weight due to our overworked adrenal glands producing cortisol. Cortisol breaks down muscle and stores fat, the opposite of our goal. Along with contributing to fat around the abdominal region, cortisol contributes to premature aging, cancers and chronic inflammation. Decreasing and controlling our stress levels is imperative to a healthy waist.
Remember this: Chill and relax to keep cortisol low and keep the stomach tight. Try 30 minutes relaxing, meditating, and doing something fun like treating yourself to a massage!
9. Incorporate core building exercises
Enlisting core building exercises will refine the waist and shape it along with providing great posture and back strength. In any exercise that you do, concentrate on holding the abs in to condition the muscles to have memory in this position. Do this also throughout the day as you go about your daily tasks. Great core building exercises include planks, boxing punches and any exercises that include a twisting motion.
Remember this: Incorporate a variety of exercises that will work and shape the abs in all planes. Be sure to change the type of exercises so the body doesn’t get use to the same routine.
10. Get your belly blasting MUFAs
MUFAs (Monounsaturated Fats) are part of every meal in the Flat Belly Diet. MUFAs such as olive oil, nuts, avocados and dark chocolate, for example, have been shown in studies to shift toxic belly fat and exert a healthy effect. They also provide other health benefits including the better absorption of vitamins A,D,E and K.
Remember this: Fight fat with fat! The waist shrinking effect of MUFAs is real. Watch portion sizes and stick to 2-3 servings per day.
Many factors can contribute to an unhealthy waistline. We hope these tips promote healthy habits! For more information or guidance with achieving your Healthy Body Goals we are available to partner with you to achieve the spectacular results you deserve!
Health Coach at Health Inspired Dentistry
- 12 Steps for great December digestion
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our Say Ahh Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch?
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!