Health Inspired Dentistry Blog
The Eyes Have It - Tips for Younger looking eyes 12-10-18
by Claudia Minadeo-Fox D.D.S.
The next most looked at feature after your teeth are eyes. Fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes are the first signs of aging. The skin around your eyes is the most delicate and 1/9 the thickness of the rest of your skin.
Here are a few essential tips to keeping your eyes looking ageless
- Moisturize –The skin around your eyes looses moisture 50% faster than the rest of your face. This area also has no oil glands; therefore it needs additional assistance to keep it nourished. Creams and Serums with high quality ingredients deliver nutrients and vitamins to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Dark circles and puffiness can also be targeted with specific products which can do double duty to give moisture and assist in brightening the under eye area. Apply moisturizers gently to the orbital bone with the ring finger and not on top of the upper eyelid nor directly below the lower lashes.
- Reduce Crow’s feet –Retinol cream can reduce fine eye lines, boost collagen formation and suppleness by increasing cell production to maintain a youthful complexion. Easier than repair is prevention with Botox. Botox is a powerhouse, promoting the relaxation of facial muscles whose repetitive squinting and facial expressions start to create deep lines in the surface of skin.
- Protect with SPF– Protect tissue around the eyes along with other facial areas including the décolletage daily with SPF to prevent aging and sun damage.
- Diet– Eat the right foods and a diet rich in antioxidants. Eliminate salt and drink lots of water. Hydration has total body benefits and lack of hydration is a wrinkle-causing factor. Hydrating can prevent eye puffiness too! Hydration is important inside and out!
- Supplements– When combined with a good diet, supplements keep your skin healthy and looking its best. Vitamin C (500-1000 mg) and Vitamin E (400mg per day)* both combine and help reduce skin damage from free radicals, the harmful by-products of sunlight , smoke and pollution. Fish oil, Omega 3, reduces inflammation and breakouts and is crucial to skin’s natural oil barrier. Collagen supports skin elasticity, hydration and can diminish the appearance of fine wrinkles. Vitamin B complex supports skin, hair and nails. Alpha lipoic Acid, a powerful anti-oxidant, is a super boost for aging skin. It penetrates oil and water and affects skin cells from the inside and out. Lastly, Hyaluronic acid keeps skin looking smoother and younger.
- Natural remedies: Sweet potato eye pads and green tea bags are anti-inflammatory and work much better than cucumber. To prevent puffiness, sleep with your head elevated and upon rising in the morning rinse your face with cold water or do cold compresses. Be sure to use gentle cleansers, so you are not drying your skin out. Oils work great for removing makeup, they are neutral and can be used for all skin types.
- Sleep – Establish good sleeping habits, 7-9 hours of sleep. Proper sleep rhythms are important for the body’s proper functioning, including the skin, the largest organ. Lack of sleep can also contribute to under the eye bags and dark circles.
In summary…. don’t skimp when it comes to delicate eye tissue. Anti-aging for the eyes should be your first thought in skin care, not an after thought.
For your eye support we recommend these high quality products in your arsenal:
- Moisturizers: One of the best eye anti-aging night creams is Skin Medica Eye Repair, which includes peptides and Vitamins C, E, and A to target delicate skin around the eyes. Also, Skin Medica uplifting Eye serum can be used day or night to combat fine lines.
- Additional moisturizers: Skin Medica illuminating eye cream
Skin Medica Ha5 Rejuvenating Hydrator (hyaluronic acid)
- Retinols: Skin Medica retinol complex .5 and 1.0
- SPF: Skin Medica Defense Mineral Shield
- Gentle Cleansers: Skin Medica facial cleanser and exfoliator
*Large amounts of vitamin E are not recommended and must consult physician
For great tips on Facial Aesthetics, Botox and Prevention of wrinkles see Dr. Minadeo-Fox at Health Inspired Dentistry at our Highland Heights location where we are changing smiles everyday!
- 12 Steps for great December digestion
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Why choose a woman dentist in Cleveland?
- ATTENTION ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS
- See how you can Save $1000 today!
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our “Say Ahh” Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!