Health Inspired Dentistry Blog
ATTENTION ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS, Prevent decay while your away! 9-4-18
The time is here to say goodbye for another year!
What a fast summer! It really was! We are sad but cheerful when we say good-bye to our college students for several months as they embark on a new school year.
Below is our yearly advice we give all our students when they are seated in our chair☺
Listen up “NEWBIE” students and all students alike and parents please share this article with your student who has not heard our horror stories of not the” freshman 5” but the freshman 8.
The freshman 8????
What does that mean? Well, we instituted these tips and lecture to all our teen patients who are about to commence upon their first year of college and this serves as a reminder for those returning. Here is how the story goes…..
One year, and sad to say this was not the first, one of our prize patients, a beginning college student with a longstanding history of dental health, aka “No Cavities”, returned to us from their first year of college with 8 cavities. Yes 8. After some thorough questioning, investigating and forensics (just kidding) the culprit was identified. Exposure of our new student to the cafeteria lunch line with all the fine selection of foods, puddings and sweet treats looked real appetizing, and of course healthier selections could be made, but this was not the goo that broke down the tooth (likened to the straw that broke the camels back), lol. The real culprit was not the food but the liquid enticements that sat at the end of the line that were now readily available. The “goo” was SODA. Our freshman student now drank soda daily due to the readily availability of the drink which was not so available at home.
So suffice it to say, we now have our College campaign for college students and decay prevention (and maybe we will reinstate the toy chest or no cavity club for them or some other treat for those deserving, $ towards books?).
We care for our college students like they are our own, Aren’t they? We give them a hug and now these tips as they leave out of our hands for the next 6 months!
For young college students especially those starting their initial year, keep these tips in mind for keeping teeth healthy and safe while away!
If you are reading this and you are not a college student examine your own habits, as there is always room to graduate to the next level☺
- Avoid sugary drinks on a daily basis. This includes energy and sport drinks., sweetened coffee and juice.
Limit these drinks to once a week as a treat.
- Reduce consumption of sugary treats and sweets.
- Drink from a straw= prevent staining.
- Do not use your front teeth to open food or drinks to prevent chipping.
- Visit us every 6 months ,while on break, so that we can maintain your healthy smile.
- Don’t skip breakfast. This increases alertness and will also keep you from choosing unhealthy snacks.
- Drink an adequate amount of water daily (70-150 ounces depending on body weight). This will prevent dehydration, headaches for some and generally is great for overall health.
- Exercise regularly to decrease stress. Intramural sports, using the school gym or just riding your bike to class are great for fitness.
- Make choices wisely. Remember to stay on track!
Call our office at 440-446-9417 or email us at HealthInspiredDentistry.com with any questions or concerns. Also, feel free to send a picture of your dental concern for a quick diagnosis or to see if an appointment is necessary.
- 12 Steps for great December digestion
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Why choose a woman dentist in Cleveland?
- ATTENTION ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS
- See how you can Save $1000 today!
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our “Say Ahh” Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!