Replacing Dental Fillings Thursday, 24 August 2017
Why Does My Filling Need Replacing?
There are many different kinds of dental filling material and each has a different life span. Fillings can be made of gold, amalgam (silver) or composite (tooth colored) materials. A filling doesn’t need to be elicting pain to necessitate replacement. In fact, the goal is to replace the filling before it gets to the point of being symptomatic.
Constant daily stress from chewing, grinding and clenching teeth can cause a filling to wear. As the filling wears, it starts to separate from the tooth leaving gaps at the filling edges or cracks across the top of its surface. These gaps now provide an entry point for decay causing bacteria and food particles to work their way between the filling and the tooth. A toothbrush cannot remove these easily and decay may develop along the edge of the filling and underneath. If left untreated, decay can progress to infect the nerve of the tooth, which often results in a root canal or loss of a tooth. When silver fillings start to breakdown, they corrode sometimes causing a metallic taste in the mouth. They also begin to leach into the tooth causing it to turn black or grey, staining it, sometimes permanently.
Prevention with regular dental examinations is one of the best ways to keep your teeth and fillings healthy. In the dental chair, magnification of these restorations with an intraoral camera can easily detect faulty fillings early to identify weakness that can lead to complications, which can be costly to tooth structure and your pocketbook. Removal of these fillings, especially older amalgam or mercury fillings, using a safe amalgam removal technique and equiptment should be employed so mercury vapor and fine particles are not inhaled or absorbed into the lungs. Following removal, an aesthetically pleasing durable filling is placed that replicates tooth structure.
Our practice promotes mercury-free, mercury safe, biological compatible dentistry and is certified in Safe Amalgam Removal services. We welcome you for a complimentary examination to review your restorative needs.
-Dr. Claudia Minadeo-Fox
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our Say Ahh Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch?
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!