How Fresh is Your Breath? Thursday, 20 July 2017
Bad breath or HALITOSIS is a common and serious issue that almost everyone worries about which causes personal embarassment and impacts social interactions. “Breath” can tell a lot about your health ranging from simply bad breath from foods such as onion and garlic to a warning of a more serious underlying condition. Bad breath is caused by Volatile Sulfur Compounds. They are released with the breakdown of food particles, which accumulate in the crevices of the hard and soft tissue of the mouth and primarily the back of the tongue. Tongue cleaning and the elimination of odor begin with a tongue scraper, which is designed to mechanically remove bacteria from deep pockets in the tongue where the toothbrush cannot reach. Proper tongue cleaning is the first order of defense, followed by brushing and flossing along with rinsing with a dentist prescribed mouthwash that has active ingredients such as zinc and sulfur neutralizing compounds.
Dry mouth, diets, medications, tobacco, and poor oral hygiene are additional causes for bad breath. Persistent bad breath may signal more serious conditions such as gum disease, diabetes, respiratory infections, acid reflux, liver and kidney aliments or oral pharyngeal cancer and should be addressed. If bad breath concerns you or a family member, call us to identify the cause and develop a plan to eliminate it. Bad breath can be uncomfortable for you and those around you and unhealthy too!
-Dr. Claudia Minadeo-Fox
- Say Yes to Non-Surgical Gum Therapy
- What kind of toothpaste should I be using?
- Why Choose a Female Dentist?
- Claudia Minadeo-Fox DDS celebrates 30 years!
- 10 tips for a flatter stomach from Cleveland Health Coach
- Is Sparkling Water Bad for My Teeth?
- Common Dental Barriers; What’s Keeping You From the Dentist
- Choosing Your Local Dentist for Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Cleveland Health Coach Thinking About Your Heart
- Breaking Habits the Right Way
- Integrative Nutrition and Health Coaching
- GERD Effects the Health of Your Teeth
- Massage and Cold Weather
- 21 Day Meditation – Become What You Believe
- Ways to Relieve Stress and Relax Your Mind
- Interesting Facts About Vitamin D
- Interesting Facts About Massage Therapy
- The Eight Causes of Cravings
- B12 – the Vitamin for All Ages
- Sugar – the Only Cause of Tooth Decay
- Transform Your Diet Without Radically Altering Your LIfe
- Just One More Reason To Smile! Newsletter – April 2015
- Bone Loss Score May Tip Off Doctors to Gum Disease in Postmenopausal Women
- Know The Risks of Oral Cancer
- Suggestions on How to Restore Your Natural Sleep Rhythm
- Take Control of Your Heart to Take Care of Your Heart
- WHAT’S IN A KISS
- Most & Least Contaminated Produce
- Begin the New Year with a wellness routine! Be sure to include Massage!
- 3 Ways to Enjoy Holiday Parties
- Quick and Easy Dental Hygiene
- Acid Reflux – Your Dentist May Notice Before You Do
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Skipping Dental Visits May Impact Sense of Smell
- Thank You For Attending Our Say Ahh Event
- 3 Health Benefits of Eating Chocolate
- Mouth Guards Prevent Dental Injuries
- What to pack in your child’s school lunch for the nutritional punch?
- Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps – Holistic Health!
- SAY AHH
- Five Reasons to Scrape Your Tongue Every Day:
- Highland Heights Green Task Force
- Four Spring Cleaning Tips for a Healthy Mouth
- Dental Health Month
- Happy New Year from Everyone on Our Team!